Pages

03 April 2011

Waiting for the Metra

One day this winter I was downtown waiting for the Metra and I took some fun photos of the city. I'm avoiding doing some homework now, so here they are.

We'll start with the least interesting one first. It's a bronze spigot. Oh well. It was interesting to me at the time. I suppose I should say something arty like, "look at the line," or, "the burnishing around the lip just gives it fabulous texture, darling," but... nope... I've got nothing.


spigot

I'll start at the corner of this street here and work my way out. I just like angles of things. Angles and lines. I liked the clean and imposing lines of this utilitarian sandstone building. The purple monstrosity next to it is the City Center Hotel, and no, it's not really purple, they're just sparkin' her up that way for yucks.

angulus

The view looking down Adams St toward the City Center.

on & on

And who could help taking a photo of this lovely. It's just so... so... so stinkin' PURPLE. I guess it makes a statement. Like saying, "I'm a big purple hotel." Or something.

conchylium

Lines and angles, back to the lines and angles. Looking up at the 'L' from underneath. I got dripped on while I was taking this photo. I think I died a little inside fantasizing over what all the possible chemical constituencies of that water could be. I think I'm dying a little inside right now just thinking about it again. Yuck.

inferne

Dude, the Sears Tower. Need I say more? Dude.

aedificium


This was pretty awesome, these four huge behemoths disappearing up into the clouds. It felt a little like they were holding up the sky.

nebulae

Oh! Here come the train photos! Time to start heading home (or really heading to bed, as it were). This one feels like the train's little red eye is watching me. This was right after our huge old blizzard, and there was snow just caked everywhere on the trains.

ocellus ruber

Aaaand I thought these last two were clever, but they're really not. They're just photos from inside the train looking out. I kind of like the half reflected images though.

main station left

I like this last one best (of the insy-outsy train photos, that is). It really is kind of like an intersection of the inside and the outside. It's a little hard to tell which is which in some places. Plus the lighting makes me feel a little like I'm in some freakish bleached sun underwater can. But, if you've never ridden the Metra before at night, that's the whole lighting experience wrapped up in a metaphoric smorgasbord for you like only I can wrap it up.

intersection
There you have it, nothing special, just some photos of fog and lights. A little something to remind us that we're all just a little vapor, dust and rubble, and all of our permanences are but a lonely building on an empty corner looking for life to fill them. Go worship the Lord tomorrow. Find fellowship with His people and joy in His presence. Let what He gives you there be what you bring into eternity!

No comments:

Post a Comment